Thursday 13 November 2014

Focuses on your experiences with the Paper Prototyping exercise.:

As a computer/observer - what did/didn't the paper prototype allow for?

As an observer, I found that paper prototyping allowed me to see chains in the navigation options easily (ie, chain from a home page to a specific page). Paper prototypes also allowed me an idea of how the finished concept might look, however this was held back by the slowness of the paper prototype in modelling dynamic features (such as simply changing a tab), which reduced how well I could envision the finished concept.
As a computer, I found that the paper prototype made it hard to convey certain information (for example, part of our design includes text popups when mousing over elements. This was hard to recreate in a paper prototype). The paper prototype did allow us to see things that we hadn't considered when designing our concept however: for example, several testers had no idea how a fighting game such as ours worked, where we all assumed that it was common knowledge (due to all having played such games at some point in our lives).

 Was this due to the form of the prototype itself? 

Some prototypes were better at being an example of what the finished concept would look like than others, so the form of the prototype possibly did have some effect, however the slow speed of paper prototyping held all of the prototypes back by some degree.

What types of feedback did you receive & was it useful to furthering the concept? 

A lot of the feedback we recieved was focussed around making the rules of the game easier/more obvious to users, and making what was happening in the game more obvious to the characters. Obviously this sort of feedback is very useful.

As a tester - what types of feedback did you give? How did the form of the prototype influence your responses? What limitations did you find?

Most of the feedback I gave as a tester was suggestions to make things more obvious to users. I think the slow speed of paper prototypes influenced these suggestions, as it makes me unwilling to experiment as much as I would in a digital environment, meaning I want to be sure that what I click will do what I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment